Sunshine Rewards Forum Sunshine Rewards Members Login

Join Sunshine Rewards

Go Back   Sunshine Rewards Forum > Trip Reports > General Trip Reports

Old 04-29-2008, 07:20 AM
We plan to eat and drink around the world

What a great trip, can't wait to see more. BTW, if anyone watches the Today Show...Matt is in the Netherlands this morning doing his bit "Where in the world is Matt" if anyone cares to tune in.

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

SUPER MEMBER SINCE 1/2/2007 AND 6x SUPER MEMBER PLUS
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

We again sailed at night, and woke up in Ghent. Another walking tour with a different guide, also named Johan. He tried to fill us in on a lot of history but I'm afraid not much stuck in my brain. It was a beautiful city and I could picture myself staying there for some time.

After lunch back on the boat, we headed off by bus to Bruges, the medieval city. This was another one of our optional excursions and worth the long bus ride to get there. Bruges has many old buildings, including this rare wooden building.

We did a cruise on the canal, admired the swans and did some shopping. I bought lots of chocolate. My stepmother bought raspberry and cherry beer. We both ate French fries with mayonnaise (the Belgium specialty) and more waffles. I can't believe I didn't take a picture of the waffles. So yummy with whipped cream and chocolate sauce. Mmmmmmm.

We also saw this statue by Michaelangelo in one of the churches.

It is said to be the only statue of his to leave Italy in his lifetime. It was purchased by a wealthy merchant from Bruges, who gave it to the church. The story they tell is that is was commissioned by the town of Sienna, who couldn't afford it when it was finished. I think the story is supposed to tell you how much money the merchants in Bruges were making at the time.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:04 PM
My Mom said I was born weird....

Megan - the scenery looks so gorgeous! Can't wait to see more pics!
Old 04-30-2008, 05:57 PM

Default Day of Disaster!

Today was the day of disaster. It started out well enough, although it was incredibly chilly that morning. It was -1 (that's about 30 F). We were back in the Netherlands, in the province of Zeeland. The local guide we had for our walking tour of Middleburg was not very chatty. He did tell us about the bombing and reconstruction that happened. He also talked about the town's connection to a US president (I think it was Lincoln but don't quote me) and there is some kind of University there with his name. I was a little distracted by that point because the worst thing happened. We had gone inside a building to see the roof architecture. I was taking off my gloves and my camera slipped off my wrist and crashed to the floor! I checked to make sure it would go on and it seemed fine. When we went outside again, I went to take a picture and realized that the shutter button was gone. I was so upset! And I just found out that the cost of fixing it will probably be more than buying a new camera, which isn't in the budget, especially since I would want it before I go to Florida in two weeks. Sigh.

The only good thing about Middleburg is that we were there on Thursday, which was their market day. They set it up in the main square of the town and you can buy just about anything. I managed to get a few small souvenirs for my friends here.

From Middleburg we sailed toward the village of Veere, having lunch on the way. We took a bus to see the Delta Works, which is a huge storm barrier system that the Netherlands constructed in the 80's to protect them from flooding. The cities that were affected by Katrina ought to go take a look because some of the same technology might be able to minimize future flooding. They have made a bit of a museum, aquarium, park out of the whole thing. We watched a film that showed how the barriers were built and then rambled through exhibits and the grounds. They had a few seals that we watched for a bit. I was using my stepmother's back up camera (which is awful!) so I have a few pictures.

It is too bad I don't have a picture but my stepmother and I went on a small ride called the Moby Dick. It was a boat that we thought would do some gentle up and down movements. Turns out it went side to side and swung a bit more than we thought. We were laughing so hard. The funniest part was that we were the only ones on the whole ride and I think the operator thought we were a bit touched in the head.

When we got back we had a bit of time to explore the village of Veere, where we found this windmill on the outskirts of town.

That night the crew of the boat did a skit show for us. It was very funny and I really missed having my camera!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

Even the pictures on your back-up camera are beautiful, Megan. I loved Brugge and it's one place I'd go back to in a heartbeat! I'm really loving your TR. Keep it coming!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2008, 06:58 PM

Default Finally some Tulips!

Today was the day we visited the large Keukenhof Gardens. We docked in Rotterdam and took a bus to get there. Unfortunately we got stuck in a traffic jam and had a guide on the bus who was a bit crude and never shut up. She did tell everyone the story of Canada and the royal family of the Netherlands, which was nice.

We had about 5 hours in the gardens, which was enough to take a quick tour of everything. That place is huge and is surrounded by bulb fields! Again, using the back up camera and the pictures are quite disappointing!

We had a short lecture on growing bulbs and the history of the garden and then were free to meander and tiptoe through the tulips (sorry, couldn't resist) I didn't find any Mickey Mouse tulips but I did find Donald Duck!

Our bus had moved while we were away and the guide got us a bit lost on the way back to the boat. It took almost two hours to get back but at least we were in time for dinner!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:09 PM
DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

So beautiful Megan! Definetly a trip I would love to take.

So sorry to hear about your camera, that just stinks!!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:11 PM
I too love the popcorn man. :)

O, a cruise through that area sounds wonderful! I may have to get my mother to do this with me as well!

Can't wait to hear more
Old 05-02-2008, 07:49 AM
is there something in the water??

Some of your pictures make me feel like I am stepping back in time. Love them. OH and the tulips.........beautiful.

Sorry to hear about your camera..........glad your MIL had a back up for you!

Pamela

Sunshine Rewards
Old 05-02-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm a Sunshine Rewards Junkie

Thanks for posting your trip report and pictures... I'm really enjoying it.
Proud to be SR member #3129
Sponsored Links