Sunshine Rewards Forum Sunshine Rewards Members Login

Join Sunshine Rewards

Go Back   Sunshine Rewards Forum > Trip Reports > General Trip Reports

Old 04-13-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm a Sunshine Rewards Junkie

Gosh I really miss those palm trees!!

So glad you had a great trip and can't wait to read more!!! Hate that I couldn't get down to have those drinks with you and Angie, so I hope you had one for me!

As for the liquor, we are a very strange state indeed. No liquor sold in ANY grocery stores, etc. only in liquor stores and not on Sunday and not past 7 o clock. Most restaurants do not serve it on Sunday either, they have to pay extra to serve on Sundays. Also in most counties, beer and wine cannot be sold on Sundays either (Lucky for you Beaufort Co. is not one of those). We've made many a trip on Sunday across the border to NC!!

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass..it's about learning how to dance in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Assistant to the Manager of Sunshine Rewards

Hilton Head Day Two (Monday)

The weather on Monday started off terrible! We slept in and ate breakfast in the room. We headed to the rental place to get bikes for everyone. They were out of the tandem, so we ended up with 3 bikes (one for DD7, one for SG, and one for me with a pull-behind cart for DD5). I think it was about $100 for all of them for the week. And they came with helmets, locks, etc. We paid for ours using Disney Gift Cards. Here's me on the solo bike later in the week when it was warmer:

The Meeks rented fishing and crabbing gear and did a little fishing and crabbing on the pier.

We decided to ride the bikes over to the Disney Beach House to check out the beach. It was about 1.5 miles and a little bit tough because of a lot of construction. But we made it! It was overcast and windy but we did get a little taste of the beach.

We ate lunch at the counter service restaurant at the Beach House. Prices were reasonable and they had a great selection. We used out Disney Gift Cards to pay for this meal. People were actually swimming in the pool because it was warmer in the heated water than what the air was. They had a VERY small arcade there.

We rode back to the resort and took some naps. We had signed the kids up for Kids Night Out and Teens Night Out. So we dropped them off for 3 hours for pizza and a movie at the cinema (again using gift cards to pay the $20 per kid rate).

We headed to dinner at Kingfisher, which is right next to the resort. Great seafood. We were all pleased with our selections. And we got 10% off as DVC members.

We then headed to the liquor store to get some real alcohol. Woops! Liquor stores are not only closed on Sunday, but they all close at 7pm! No liquor for us again. So we picked up the kids, put them to bed, and played euchre (girls won as usual).

Verdict on the first day--I wasn't really jazzed about the vacation. Seemed a little dull and slow to me. Thank goodness, the week started looking up.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm flattered for some weird reason.
Awards Showcase
Share the Sunshine: This award is given to a member of the Sunshine Rewards community for helping other members with Sunshine Rewards issues. - Issue reason: As a moderator, Hedy usually stays quietly in the background. If there is a problem, she just fixes it. For example, everytime I use photobucket to download a picture, I can never get the size right. I usually just ask for a mod's help. Within minutes, my 
Total Awards: 1

What does Teens night out do?

Follow Wdwnotjustkids on Twitter
Old 04-13-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
What does Teens night out do?
For that particular night, they went to the movies and saw 21. There was another one on Wednesday that was mini-golf and video games. Plus they had Teen Kayaking a couple of times.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 PM
DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Sounds fun so far! I love the pic of you on the bike!

Well then NO ONE wants to move to PA..... We have the worst (or best depends on how you look at it) liquor laws. State owns all liqour stores so you can ONLY buy bottles of wine/liqour there and their hours are strict. we just passed a law that some of the stores are opened on Sat's. Beer has to be bought at a beer distributor if more then a 6 pack. Otherwise some bars can sell 6 packs but nothing bigger. So really you have to go to at least two different places to buy your "adult" drinks. Restaurants have their license to sell by the drink and can anyday of the week any time.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 PM

Hilton Head Day Three (Tuesday)

Although we thought that Tuesday was going to be our first nice day and had planned for the beach and the pool, we were sad to wak up to find that it was cold again. But we had promised the kids water, so water they got.

We headed to the big pool at the resort. There was a hot tub, a baby pool, and the regular pool, which had a big slide. It was cold but because the water was fairly warm, the kids didn't mind. They had life vests for the little kids and boats for sale at the mercantile. They could also play with beach balls and other small toys.

We brought the kids back to the room for lunch, and the deck proved a perfect place to make wet kids eat.

Everyone took naps in the afternoon (I read the new Valerie Bertinelli book). We then prepared for our first big activity--the Edmunds Family Low Country Boil.

This is where the trip really turned around. The "story" of the resort is that it was owned by the Edmunds family as a place for the whole family to gather each year for vacation and just grew and grew until Disney bought it. So this shrimp boil was held at the beach house. $25 for adults and $10 for kids (we paid with gift cards!!). They had face painting for the kids and live entertainment (B'Lou Crabbe playing instruments). The food was FABULOUS!! So much that I want to have my own shrimp boils at home now. It was a great buffet with seafood, gumbo, cornbread, catfish, etc. The kids kicked off their shoes and danced by the pool. At one point, they even played old fashioned instruments as a part of the "band."

We hit the beach for just a bit after that and grabbed a few small shells. Then back to the resort with full bellies and great memories.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2008, 10:09 PM
I'd rather smell like a pickle

Tricia,

Enjoying the trip report and missing HHI. Can't wait to go back there. Did you play Goofy Bingo?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymouse View Post
Tricia,

Enjoying the trip report and missing HHI. Can't wait to go back there. Did you play Goofy Bingo?
We tried! But by the time that we got back from the Low Country Boil, they were full.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:27 PM
I'd rather smell like a pickle

Maybe next time you will catch it. Everyone had a blast and got chocolate for prizes.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:37 AM
Wheeee! Shopping is fun!

Oh this sounds like a nice trip!!!

Funny how we all are commenting on the liquor situation. I was going to say what jakeandsophiesmom said, but she's still there so she said it better! I went from CA where liquor is in the grocery store, to WA but I had just barely turned 21 by the time I left there so *buying* booze wasn't a big part of my time in WA, then out to SC where it was all so weird! I hope you guys didn't try to go to a bar while in SC and order just one Long Island Ice Tea....

OK but back to your trip.