Sunshine Rewards Forum Sunshine Rewards Members Login

Join Sunshine Rewards

Go Back   Sunshine Rewards Forum > Get Fit > Healthy Living

Old 11-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Sharing the Sunshine

Default Cooking a WHOLE turkey in a crockpot??

Has anyone tried this? I bought a 10-11 pound whole turkey when they were on sale the other week, I have a big crockpot and I would like to cook it in there. Has anyone done it before? I could use tips and or recipes!!

I figure tomorrow would be a great day, we are supposed to have our first snow storm of the year...good time to just be at home.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I have not but I will consult my cookbook.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Ok Fix it and Forget it lightly didn't have anything but this one might be able to be adapted or a good guide for the cook time.

Lemony Turkey Breast

1 5lb bone in turkey breast, cut in half and skin removed, partially frozen in center
1 med. sized lemon, halved
1 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
1 tsp garlic salt
4 tsp cornstarch
1/2 cup ff reduced sodium chicken broth

place turkey in crockpot, meaty side up. Squeeze lemons all over and then sprinkle with seasoning and garlic salt.
place lemon halves under turkey.
cook on low 5-7 hours
remove turkey and discard lemons.
let rest 15 mins before slicing.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Sharing the Sunshine

Send a message via Yahoo to Riyaa

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to as long as it fits. It would probably take all day, or longer, but I'm sure it's doable. As long at the breast and thigh meat reaches 160-165 degrees, it will be done enough to eat.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Sharing the Sunshine

Well I did it, didn't turn out as good as I had hoped...surprisingly the breast part was stringy and kinda dry. Not sure if I maybe cooked it a little too long, but I won't be doing that again.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I might even start my Sunshining with a big bowl of Baskin-Robbins Chubby Hubby

I am still a pecker!

Send a message via MSN to andrea2289

Quote:
Originally Posted by schachteles View Post
Has anyone tried this? I bought a 10-11 pound whole turkey when they were on sale the other week, I have a big crockpot and I would like to cook it in there. Has anyone done it before? I could use tips and or recipes!!

I figure tomorrow would be a great day, we are supposed to have our first snow storm of the year...good time to just be at home.

Thanks!
I just saw this while looking for some dinner ideas.

I do whole turkey breasts in my crock-pot all the time and feel they come out much better than the whole turkey (and healthier). It is very simple:

In the bottom of the crock-pot put some onions, celery and carrots. I cut them big...the idea is to keep the turkey breast off the bottom and add flavor to the gravy

Place the turkey breast on top of the vegetables. In another bowl, mix a quart of chicken broth, a couple of cups of water, a couple cloves crushed garlic, about 1-teaspoon poultry seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Pour this over the breast. Cover and cook on high for about 6-8 hours. I start then in the morning and they are ready when I come home.

Use two large spatulas (or turkey lifters if you have them) to take the breast out. The breast will literally fall apart, so I just pull the bones and skin away, slice it up and put it on a platter.

Pour the broth through a strainer into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil; turn the heat down, add thickener (I just use a few teaspoons of corstarch mix with some water), add it a little at a time whisking constantly until it is to your desired consistency, let it gently simmer on low for a few minutes to cook the cornstarch or flour flavor out, and your done. Sometimes the gravy will actually have SO much flavor that you can add some water. Adjust seasoning if needed and pour some over the turkey and serve the rest on the side.

I just make this with broccoli and a quick rice pilaf (we are not big potato eaters)

This is such a simple meal. It takes no more than 30 minutes of your time in the morning and when you get home. And we always have lots of leftover turkey meat, which we love and we like to have turkey year round!