Sunshine Rewards Forum Sunshine Rewards Members Login

Join Sunshine Rewards

Go Back   Sunshine Rewards Forum > Get Fit > Healthy Living

Old 01-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Assistant to the Manager of Sunshine Rewards

Default Artificial Eating

I've always felt pretty ripped off at how easily I gain weight and how hard it is for me to lose it. With few exceptions, I really exercise. I ran the mini marathon last year and actually GAINED weight while I was in training for 4 months (and not just muscle).

I've been off and on Weight Watchers for about 13 years and am pretty good at things like portion size. I eat 1 serving of oatmeal with Splenda for breakfast. I drink mainly Crystal Light and hardly ever any kind of pop. I never fry food and hardly ever eat fast food.

Now to my main point.....

I started the Jillian Michaels Cleanse and Burn this week. Along with it, I've been reading from her website. A lot of what she says makes sense and helps explain (I think) what some of my biggest problems are.

Do any of you believe much in the theory that you can actually gain weight (or not lose when you are trying) because you eat too many chemicals? I have real sugar problems. Even on WW, I manage to eat stuff with corn syrup every day. I also eat a lot of "packaged" snacks to stay within my points and they have a lot of chemicals and preservatives.

Is it possible that I have been sabotaging my self with artificial sweeteners and things that I thought were actually helping me stay "on plan"??
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Sunshine Rewards Master

i think we all, even with the best of intentions, eat too many artificial sweeteners and food additives, and we may not even realize it. food manufacturers use them because they're cheap and keep products shelf-stable, but they're producing a nation of obese people. even as a gastric bypass patient, there's just no way for me to eliminate ALL of these things from my eating plan. many times they're in there, even if you think they're not. i wholeheartedly believe that these chemicals are a HUGE factor (pardon the pun) in the obesity epidemic.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:53 AM
We plan to eat and drink around the world

It's definitely the artificial sweetners, I'm convinced of it. http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/sto...4271246&page=1
Although I'm by no means skinny because I eat too much and don't exercise but a major factor for me is....I was told by one of my doctors that they think that the artificial sweetners caused a mini-stroke that I had about 12 years ago, I used to drink Diet Peach Snapple iced tea, I bought it by the case and I'm not taking any chances so I stay away from the stuff as much as humanly possible. Try to limit your salt intake too. I know all the right things to do to lose weight, I just have a hard time doing them and I just love to eat, that's my problem!!

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

SUPER MEMBER SINCE 1/2/2007 AND 6x SUPER MEMBER PLUS
Old 01-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...
Awards Showcase
Share the Sunshine: This award is given to a member of the Sunshine Rewards community for helping other members with Sunshine Rewards issues. - Issue reason: Janet does her best to keep the forum positive, even though she sometimes has to play  
Total Awards: 1

Tricia I have been wanting to read a book she wrote about the chemicals and sweeteners and your metabolism. It is supposed to be very eye opening. Have you read it? I totally believe that the chemicals throw our bodies in to an uproar. They make your hormones crazy and can often cause your body to hold on to fat instead of burning it. When you think about it our bodies were never meant to consume chemicals so it makes sense that they would get thrown out of whack when these foreign substances hit our systems. I think I will look for her book today. I have been thinking about doing either her detox or doing what is called a "Daniel Fast" for 21 days. The fast will fall in with one my church is doing next week. You can have water, fruits and vegetables, nuts. No meat or fish or seafoood or eggs or sugar or artificial sweeteners or bread. It is only for 21 days and I think it might help to clean out the crap in my system. I gave up Coke a few days ago and it is amazing the revolt my body went in to when it didn't have the sugar and caffiene.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Sunshine Rewards Master

I don't know if you remember the diet that was given to me by my doctor, but he was very explicit when he said No Artifiicial Sweetners. He doesn't think they are good for you and they put weight on also.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Soaking Up the Sunshine

YES! An excellent book (not just for weight loss): Real Food by Nina Planck

Old 01-04-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm a Sunshine Rewards Junkie

I've seen what the chemicals do to my youngest child... she is a totally different person since I've really put an effort into monitoring and restricting her diet to real food.

I'd love to hear more about what you learn and how it goes.
Proud to be SR member #3129
Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm gonna have to pay more attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorth1007 View Post
I have been wanting to read a book she wrote about the chemicals and sweeteners and your metabolism. It is supposed to be very eye opening. Have you read it?
Janet,

What is the name of the book?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:19 PM
I just want to buy Disney stuff!
Awards Showcase
Friend in Need Award: This award winner has given of themself to a friend in need in the Sunshine Rewards community. - Issue reason: As many of us know Carla is an amazing cake designer. One day as I was looking at all of her cakes on Facebook I came across the cake pops that she makes. Because I was doing the favors for my nephew's upcoming rehearsal lunch, I decided I would love to h 
Total Awards: 1

Is it the book "Master your Metabolism: The 3 Diet Secrets to Natuarally Balancing your hormones for a hot and healthy body"? I've read good things about this book.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm a Sunshine Rewards Junkie

I have been more and more concerned with chemicals, hormones, and all kinds of other things in food with the things I have read. I think I may just check out one of those books. I have a couple gift cards to spend! Both of my parents had cancer (my dad died from it) and both were big into processed foods and things with artificial sweeteners. I have a couple friends who only eat organic. While I cannot afford to totally switch (DD5 is already an eating machine!!!!), I have tried making little changes.

Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
Sponsored Links