Sunshine Rewards Forum Sunshine Rewards Members Login

Join Sunshine Rewards

Go Back   Sunshine Rewards Forum > Member Chatter > Family Issues

Old 08-09-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm a Sunshine Rewards Junkie

Default Pet question

Okay, a doggie question for everyone. One of my dogs apparently has an allergy of some sort. He scratches his neck constantly, and now has big scabs and clumps of hair falling out on his neck. He has recently started licking the tops of his paws constantly.

Obviously, this is some kind of allergy but where do I start? We've always fed our dogs lamb and rice food but I've now started buying food that has no wheat or corn products. Have switched doggie treats to "sensitive skin" formula. I know I should take him to the vet but I assume they'll want to do lots of test that I can't afford right now. Any other suggestions that I can try first will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Sunshine Rewards Master

My pfamily's previous dog had seasonal allergies. She would lick her feet and elbows till they were raw. Happened every fall and it drove everyone insane. I remember the vet said it was OK to give her a Benadryl periodically (dont' remember how often). The last year she was around, her allergies were so bad that they had to soak her feet for a while each night. She hated that. My mother also tried the bitter apple spray on her feet to get her to stop licking them, but I think that was more successful with myself and my brothers to stop the thumb sucking.

Is there any chance it could be some kind of a seasonal allergy? Other than what was done with Jersey, I don't really know a whole lot. Hopefully someone will have some suggestions!

Sunshine Rewards

Old 08-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Thanks for your reply. I guess that seasonal allergies are certainly a possibility. This dog is 6 years old, and has never had any allergy problems before so anything's possible, I suppose. I'll make a trip to the pet store and see if they sell any doggie allergy meds, if not, I'll try to Benadryl just to see if it helps any. Just trying to eliminate all the normal things the vet may ask in case I have to take him.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Sharing the Sunshine

Thats weird that it just started happen at 6 years old. My brothers dog has allergies too and he told me about a certain dog food (sorry but I can't remember what it was called) but I do know he said it was expensive and he got it at the pet store. They also use that spray stuff for the paws too. I'll see if I can find out the name of the dog food.

Sunshine Rewards
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 PM

We've fed them NutroMax lamb & rice for about 2 years but since his problem started, I've just switched them to a lamb & rice with no wheat or corn but I can't remember the brand.

We had fed our Pedigree for years until another one started scratching and losing her hair several years ago. That's when we switched to the NutroMax L&R, and she stopped scratching and shedding almost immediately. I was hoping that maybe this dog had developed a similar allergy, and the pet store suggested the food w/o wheat and corn plus the new treats but the new food/treats haven't made any difference so far.

This might be a stretch but the only other thing different is that this dog decided several months ago that he prefers sleeping inside to sleeping outside with the other dogs. (DH decided to let him stay inside one night and created a monster). Wonder if he may be allergic to something in the house? The carpet maybe? It's not new carpet so no funny smells or chemical fumes. I don't really see how that could cause the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:01 AM
All this talk makes me want a ginormous glass of bubbly!

We had a dog that had allergies too. We took our yellow lab to the vets when he started scratching his neck so much that it would bleed. According to our vet, dogs are just like people and can develop an allergy at any given time in there life. We tried changing his food - he was not on a lamb and rice diet - tried changing treats too, and tried to keep him indoors more. Nothing seemed to work. After several months on unsuccessful treatments, the vet tried putting him on a several different type of meds to help him. We treated him for over a year. Good Luck and let us know how you doggie is doing.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Sharing the Sunshine

M pooch has environmental allergies. They developed after she was a year old. She will scratch till her skin is raw too. She also takes allergy shots and I give her benadryl everyday as per my vet.

You can give 1 cc/ml per 5 lbs. It does make her a little drowsy.

Sunshine Rewards
Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 AM

I'll definitely go get some benadryl today and see how that helps before making a vet appointment. He kept me awake half the night scratching and licking so we're both tired today. It's frustrating not knowing how to help him, and I feel sorry for him cuz I know he must be miserable. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm weird like that

BAMM!! Right in the eye!!
Awards Showcase
Friend in Need Award: This award winner has given of themself to a friend in need in the Sunshine Rewards community. - Issue reason: Jen was nominated by multiple members for her thoughtfulness in sending snow to Texas. 
Total Awards: 1

Check to see if the food manufactuer changed formulas. My dogs have food allergies & all it takes is just a little change in the ingredients...maybe a little more rice will do it for your dog?? Their website should state if they changed their formula. Some dogs are also allergic to rice as well.

Good luck.
Member Since 01/01/2007 Addiction makes the reward balance higher! ID#4800
Old 08-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

I would think allergies are probably the culprit, but just to give you another point of view, my DD has a cat that licks her belly bald from stress. Thought I'd mention that just to give you another perspective.