Sunshine Rewards Forum Sunshine Rewards Members Login

Join Sunshine Rewards

Go Back   Sunshine Rewards Forum > Get Fit > Excercise and Strength Training

Old 08-05-2008, 01:47 PM
DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Default August Exercise Challenge - Check In!

Well I'm just going to post here for now bc I finally got up and ran this morning. The last time I did anything was last Monday when I went to the Y. I did go to an amusement park all day Tues and Wed last week so I think that accounts for some exercise! I did behave myself.

I like this thread bc it's keeping me accountable. When I see everyone else posting what they did It makes me want to get my workout in so I can post too. This morning I went on a run/jog for 35 mins. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get back to the YMCA so I can do the stairmaster and weights.

Since keeping track when this thread started I'm down 5#'s!!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:10 PM
I just want to buy Disney stuff!
Awards Showcase
Friend in Need Award: This award winner has given of themself to a friend in need in the Sunshine Rewards community. - Issue reason: As many of us know Carla is an amazing cake designer. One day as I was looking at all of her cakes on Facebook I came across the cake pops that she makes. Because I was doing the favors for my nephew's upcoming rehearsal lunch, I decided I would love to h 
Total Awards: 1

Great April!! I got derailed last week and haven't gotten back into it like I need to yet! I got hit with a bad migraine Sunday night that hasn't been kind! I'm hoping to walk tonight after dinner and start running again tomorrow morning.

I agree that posting here is good motivation and I've lost 5 pounds and have been feeling much better (which is most important!).

Let's keep moving!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:22 PM

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_girl View Post
Great April!! I got derailed last week and haven't gotten back into it like I need to yet! I got hit with a bad migraine Sunday night that hasn't been kind! I'm hoping to walk tonight after dinner and start running again tomorrow morning.

I agree that posting here is good motivation and I've lost 5 pounds and have been feeling much better (which is most important!).

Let's keep moving!!!
I agree it's hard to get motivated once you take a break and July has always been a bad month for me. I hope your migraine goes away and you can get back into too!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Awards Showcase
Friend in Need Award: This award winner has given of themself to a friend in need in the Sunshine Rewards community. - Issue reason: As many of us know Carla is an amazing cake designer. One day as I was looking at all of her cakes on Facebook I came across the cake pops that she makes. Because I was doing the favors for my nephew's upcoming rehearsal lunch, I decided I would love to h 

For those of you walking, I found a good article in the September 2008 Fitness magazine. They have 3 "get-lean" walking routines.

Burn Fat: Steady-Pace Walk
Aim for a speed at which you're hustling but still able to speak in sentences (your rate of perceived exertion, or RPE, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is sitting still and 10 is a full-tilt sprint, should be about 6 or 7). Depending on your fitness level, this will be somewhere between a 13- and 17-minute mile, which will keep you in the exercise zone.

Maintain this pace until you've reached your time goal, and not only will you burn more calories, you'll boost your heart health.

Calories burned (45 minutes): 182 (17-minute mile) to 302 (13-minute mile)*

Look Twice as Toned: Hills Walk
Tackling hills or stairs will sculpt your legs and butt double-time while burning big calories -- 58 percent more at a 17-minute-mile pace.

Start out on a flat surface for 15 minutes at a speed at which you're hustling but still able to speak in sentences (RPE: 6 or 7).
Find a hill or some steps -- or set your treadmill to a 4 to 6 percent incline -- and walk uphill quickly for 2 minutes.
Walk downhill to recover, or if you're on a treadmill, walk at a 0 percent incline for 2 minutes.
Aim to maintain your speed or go faster so that you can speak just a few words at a time (RPE: 8). Only one set of stairs? Walk up and down for 4 minutes.
Continue up- and downhill intervals until you've reached your time goal. Beginners can alternate between hills and 5 minutes on a flat surface.

Calories burned (45 minutes): 220 (17-minute mile) to 366 (13-minute mile)

Get Lean and Melt Calories: Intervals Walk
You'll torch more fat in less time by bumping up your pace a little for manageable bursts -- accelerating from a 17-minute mile to a 13-minute mile means 66 percent more calorie burn.

Warm up at your regular pace (RPE: 6) for 6 minutes.
Alternate these intervals: Walk as fast as you can for 1 minute (RPE: 8), then slow down to your regular pace (RPE: 6) for 2 minutes to recover.
Repeat intervals until you've reached your time goal.

Calories burned (45 minutes): 241 (17-minute mile) to 326 (13-minute mile)
Old 08-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Assistant to the Manager of Sunshine Rewards

Thanks for posting that!! I did really well early last week. I even exercised before I drove to Columbus and Wednesday night after I drove home. But then "the trip" stalled me for a few days. I started back up walking Monday night and Tuesday night and hope to walk again today and then run tomorrow.

I ordered a new ipod shuffle. I've been using a regular big ipod strapped to my arm and don't like it. I'm thinking that the little bitty clip shuffle should be a lot more convenient for running in particular.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Ok finally got our thread up. Sorry it took so long. I am avoiding work right now and yesterday was a bad day for me. I finally broke down last night at 1 and let it all out. I hate travelling and so does Mike and he's been assigned a job in Beaumont for the next 7 months. I hate being alone and I like my routing and well it'll all have to change up for a little bit. I think I'm going to look for a gym bag and keep it in my trunk so I go straight to the gym after work and I'll be looking at recipes that I like and can tolerate for 5 nights a week.

So my goal for the month is running 4 days a week and hopefully 4 miles each week. I ran 1.5 miles Saturday and 1.6 miles last night. Maybe I'll get fit and trim fast from this new lifestyle change.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:30 PM
My Mom said I was born weird....

Can I join????? I am trying to get back on the regular excerice routine. The last 2 days I rode my bike around town and in the country. My inner thighs sure feel it!

Carla - I will have to reread your post. It has SOOO much information! It is great!

Doesn't waitressing qualify???? LOL!!! All I do is run around like chicken without a head! Okay....we will just consider that extra working out.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Awards Showcase

My goal is to work out 5 days a week... um won't make it this week! But I WILL next week!

Catherine- I think that's a GREAT idea to put your bag in the car! It will be much easier to go straight from work! You can do it!!

Angela- Yes, all that running around should count for something!

Tricia- You will like the smaller iPod much better for running!!
Old 08-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Awards Showcase

Ok... from the same Fitness magazine, there were a couple of other interesting things food wise related to walking...

7 Power Foods for Walkers

"Women who ate muesli and fruit (or homemade trail mix) before exercising burned twice as much fat during a workout as those who ate cornflakes, white bread and jam. Mix 1/2 cup Kashi GoLean cereal, 1 large whole grain pretzel broken into pieces, Genisoy crisps and 1/4 cup walnuts"

"A 78 calorie egg contains all the amino acids your muscles need to recover post-walk. It will also help ward off hunger. Women in a study who chose eggs rather than a bagel for breakfast ate 264 fewer calories throughout the day"

"Cherries may reduce inflammation. Exercisers who drank 12 oz of cherry juice twice a day for eight days were less sore after strength training than those who didn't"

"Eating Salmon may help you from getting winded. The Omega 3 fatty acids help improve lung function."

"The protein in soybeans helps regulate blood sugar to give you a consistently high level of energy on longer walks"

"Studies show that we lose calcium when we sweat. One 120 calorie cup of plain low fat yogurt provides 40% of your RDA"

"All dark leafy greens contain bone-strengthening vitamin K, but raw spinach packs a whopping 161% of the RDA in one 7 calorie cup. Eat it in a salad to supplement each skeleton boosting stroll"
Old 08-07-2008, 10:30 PM

Ok where is everyone today????????????????????

Not that I have room to talk since I didn't get a workout in yesterday....

This morning I pushed myself for a longer run, not sure exactly how far but went 40 mins. I only stopped twice to catch my breathe and a drink but that's bc I had 4 different "hills" I had to go up. I was thinking of the article you posted Carla and I'm like well it's good and my heart rate was up! lol
The other thing I did the one time I stopped to walk was lunges. Guys on the golf course this mornign probably thought I was crazy! I live in a very urban "suburb" a lot of farms (what's left) and open space so the route I choose was near a few farms and the golf course. On the way back while doing my lunges I was sooooo tempted to run onto the golf course through the sprinklers!

I did well eating wise today although I'm sitting here with baked lays sour cream and onion. I wanted something salty/crunchy..... (Have a vistor coming soon, so that's what I'm blaming it on! )

So what did everyone else do today? I think I'm down another # will check for sure in the am.