Sunshine Rewards Forum Sunshine Rewards Members Login

Join Sunshine Rewards

Go Back   Sunshine Rewards Forum > Get Fit > Excercise and Strength Training

Old 05-20-2012, 01:13 PM
I Know My Sunshine Rewards!

Default Half marathon training

Ok....anyone have any tips or advice? I'm not sure I am actually going to run one, but I have friends urging me too. I've only done 5Ks so far. But there is a local half here in October. I figure I will start training, and see how it goes. I have some issues with my back, and not sure how distance running will effect it, but I figure I can try. I have never tried this....suggestions?!?!
Old 05-20-2012, 05:53 PM
I just want to buy Disney stuff!
Awards Showcase
Friend in Need Award: This award winner has given of themself to a friend in need in the Sunshine Rewards community. - Issue reason: As many of us know Carla is an amazing cake designer. One day as I was looking at all of her cakes on Facebook I came across the cake pops that she makes. Because I was doing the favors for my nephew's upcoming rehearsal lunch, I decided I would love to h 
Total Awards: 1

My husband and I are going to run a half in December and then the full Marathon at Disney in January! Trying to work out our training plans for those now!

You'll probably want to look at some of the training plans online and see what looks like it would work best for you. For the Princess 1/2 last year, I used Hal Higdon's plan and I believe Tricia uses that one as well. He has different plans based on your level and your goals. Jeff Galloway is another popular one- his plans incorporate different run/walk intervals. I'm sure that there are a lot of other plans out there as well- you just have to find one that fits your fitness level and goals. Depending on what is going on a particular week, I may shift around the workout days, but I generally try to get the correct mileage for the week.

One thing I had to learn last year while training is that sometimes you just have a bad run. You can't spend too much time beating yourself up over it. You just have to push through it and learn from it for the next time. Long distance running is SO mental and you have to find a way to get into your zone! Once you start hitting longer miles, you'll want to experiement with different fuels to find what works as well.

If you can, find out what the course that you will be running is like...does it have hills or is it flat? If it has hills, make sure you incorporate some hills on your training runs.

I keep a log of my running with distance and time and it motivates me to keep improving my time and distance! If you have any specific questions, just ask. I am finding that this is an addictive sport
Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Assistant to the Manager of Sunshine Rewards

I've done the Hal Higdon one 4 times now and really like it:

http://www.tricia.me/2011/01/04/indy...aining-begins/

Most of my friends that did the Indy Mini with me earlier this month also used his. I went from barely being able to run a 5K to running a half marathon in 4 months using his program. The only thing that I have been doing differently is inserted a shorter run between the 10 mile and the actual half marathon. Usually something around 7.5.

It is definitely addicting!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:57 PM
I Know My Sunshine Rewards!

Ok, using this, and am now on week four. Going well so far, thanks for the suggestion!!! Tricia....Pam is coming up to run the GR half with me in October..we should get together a BSU Sigma Kappa delegation!!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjnix32 View Post
Ok, using this, and am now on week four. Going well so far, thanks for the suggestion!!! Tricia....Pam is coming up to run the GR half with me in October..we should get together a BSU Sigma Kappa delegation!!
I would consider it except that I am walking a marathon and a half in October in New York.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 AM
I just want to buy Disney stuff!
Awards Showcase
Friend in Need Award: This award winner has given of themself to a friend in need in the Sunshine Rewards community. - Issue reason: As many of us know Carla is an amazing cake designer. One day as I was looking at all of her cakes on Facebook I came across the cake pops that she makes. Because I was doing the favors for my nephew's upcoming rehearsal lunch, I decided I would love to h 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
I would consider it except that I am walking a marathon and a half in October in New York.
A New York race sounds interesting!!! We signed up this morning for the Dallas half marathon in December. That didn't make me nearly as nervous as I was when we signed up for the Goofy Challenge in January!! In January we're doing the 5k with the kids, the half and the full!

I looked at so many training plans and modified it so much that I'm not even sure which plan I started with!
Old 07-30-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm a Sunshine Rewards Junkie

I am doing the wine and dine half in November! Sooooooo behind on my training...

Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 AM

I just started running about a month ago. I was always very athletic in high school but I was told that I would never be able to run more than a mile because I had "bad knees". I was told that the underside of my kneecaps is rough instead of smooth which is what always caused me pain after my softball games. My knees would "burn" and feel inflamed, but there was never swelling. Over time, I would still get those pains in my knees after a long day at work (or Disney) and I would just rest and take ibuprofen.

After my first daughter was born (9 years ago), I got an elliptical machine so that I could "run" without the impact. I would use it in spurts but it has gotten really boring. My husband (a police officer) started running about 2 years ago. For some strange reason, I decided to try it too. Last month, I started actually running on the road. I made it about a quarter-mile before I was completely out of breath. Not fun! Then, I decided that I would focus more on time than distance. I would walk for 1 minute, then jog for a minute, and then repeat. I started going around the block (0.94 miles) and it took me about 15 minutes when I first started. I've slowly been increasing my distance and time and now, I can run a full mile without walking AND I completed 3 miles today at a pace of 12:30! Ok, it's not even close to a half-marathon, but I have had ZERO pain in my knees! In fact, I have had almost no muscle soreness at all! That is HUGE for me! My job is so physical that I am always very cautious when I exercise. If I get hurt working out, I won't be able to work.

I showed the RunDisney events to my husband and told him that the Princess Half-Marathon is my ultimate goal. He said that he could never do a half-marathon since the farthest he's ever run is 10 miles. Guess what? Last weekend, he went out and ran 13.22 miles! I was so proud of him and it really motivated me even more.

I've been using the PINK 10K trainer from iTunes. I skipped ahead and started at week 3 since I'd actually been running for three weeks already when I started it. It's funny because I did the 28 minute program and when it was done, I was still about a half-mile from home. So, I ran halfway and walked the rest. Tomorrow, I am going to try to go a full 5K for the first time. I know I can finish it (I'll have to get home somehow!) but I'm hoping I can keep a sub-13-minute pace.

DH said that he will never run in an event called "Princess" or "Tinkerbell" but he is willing to train and run in the "Main Event" half-marathon someday. I finally got him interested in something Disney!!

Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 AM

How awesome!! I've been primarily walking lately rather than running, but I am anxious to get back to the running. It really seems like the first 3 miles is the hardest. Once you get over that, it's not too bad adding on a mile at a time.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 AM

I did it!!

I went 5K this morning, but according to my calculations, I did a 13:01 pace. The only caveat is that when I started the program, it somehow got paused about 30 seconds into my warm-up walk. Once my first song was done, I realized that I should have been running already and that's when I saw that it had been paused I started it from that point and just added in the time of the song. So, my time might not be exactly accurate, but I don't know if I was faster or slower. Oh well....I'm happy.

Now that I know I can finish the 5K in an acceptable time, I am going to work more on time spent running than distance completed. The training program is based on time so I'm going to shorten my total distance and just stick closely to the program. Eventually, my distance will increase as my time spent running increases and my walking time decreases.

Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards