Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How have you told the kids you're going?

Hmmmm.... now you have me thinking....
    We are going to try to surprise our children with a trip in December. We will have to pick them up at school to leave for the airport. I am trying to think of how to spring the surprise. MAYBE I will use your idea about a mini scrapbook.... just casually pass it to them in the car, telling them I was just working on a mini Disney scrapbook of our favorite things...ask them what they think....and then have a "PS we are going NOW" on the last page. My other thoughts were to give them early Christmas gifts - once opened they will find tshirts with "our surprise trip to Disney"......or passing them a big bag of their stuffed animals in the car and asking which ones they want to pack (pack for what, mom?? for disney, of course!!)......OR we could go with the simple "hey...lets go to disney!"
    So what do you think!?!?!?!?!

Well last year we told DS that we were going for a trip for Dads job. SO when we were at dinner his birthday presents were the shirts I had made for him saying my parents love me for my birthday they gave me the world. Also 3 other brtihday shirts.

He really had no clue and sadly was overwhelmed and it really kinda messed him up. He is ADD and busted into a huge nose bleed from the rise in his blood pressure.

Dr said not to do that again.......so this year he has been a part of the planning and making ressies etc.

Here I thought it was a great surprise and instead I put my poor baby on the fritz. This year we also are doing alternating days in parks. One day resort and laid back and the next day a park.

More lessons for me to learn.

In 2005 we surprised our daughters with a trip to WDW. We told them we were picking them up at noon from school to go to the dentist. My in-laws came with and when we picked up the girls they were wondering why Grandpa and Grandma were going to the dentist with us. I had the movie camera on the whole ride to the airport capturing all of their questions on what was going on. Their teachers were in on the plan and my older daughter was wondering why her teacher had a grin on his face when he said "Have fun at the dentist". Living in Iowa and going in March made packing difficult since I didn't have a clue if their shorts, swim suits, etc. even fit but everything worked out fine. Every time we watch that movie it brings back precious memories!

Just saw this thread and I'm lovin it. I haven't told the kids yet about our Sept trip and DH and I keep debating on how to do it. Great ideas here.
    I was thinking of sending them each a letter from Mickey with an invitation to come to MNSSHP. It's fun to think of all different ideas, and Plan, plan, plan!!!
    Dorothy

Sunshine Rewards

I tell my boys, but they are still young. The oldest problably won't be told next time. He is getting less patient as he becomes more aware of actual time!

We traditionally leave for WDW/DCL the day after Thanksgiving. A few years ago, on Thanksgiving morning, we were watching the parades and jumping back and forth between Macy's in NY and Boscov's parade in Philly. A Philly newscaster usually broadcasts from the MK and we were watching her, ooohing and aaahing at how much fun it looks like everyone was having, how nice the weather was, mentioning how lucky they are to be at MK, etc. And then we just got out the plane tickets and BAM threw them on the coffee table and told them we were going the next morning. We were going to surprise them again this year but decided if they get too many big surprises like that, they could come to expect them in a way... But it sure was fun.
    Sunshine Rewards

We usually go during the week of July 4th. We are hoping to go in August next year. We surprised them a couple years ago, so maybe next year will be a good time to surprise them again. Saying that Dad has to work July 4th, and we can't go this year. Then when August comes along, have something fun planned and then off we go! Hmmm....I will have to get my thinking cap on!
    Angela
    Come read my blog! http://chattywomen.com/events - Angela's Events
    Sunshine Rewards