Thread: Summer/Peak Season travel ?

Default Summer/Peak Season travel ?

Well, due to DS class work load we are now forced to travel only during the summer Which got me to ponder whether we would need to add more travel dates to our trip as we used to travel during the off season either September or January and 7-9 days would be plenty of time for us to enjoy the parks w/ minimal wait times. Now, after reading and hearing about the "summer" crowds we are starting to wonder if we should adjust our 2012 trip from our usual 7-9 days to 12 or 14 to allow us more time to deal with the "summer" crowds etc. What would you do? TIA

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

What is considered your summer? Depending on when it falls, you might be able to go at the very beginning or at the end without much change. Also, do you have any unique holidays? I remember in South Louisiana Mardi Gras was always popular because it would fall in February and miss Winter Break and Spring Break. Do you have anything like that maybe?
    Sunshine Rewards

Well their school have 2 days in early November on a Thursday and a Friday for parent/teacher conferences every year but that will only give us a 4 day weekend...

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

You could always fly down Tuesday after school and just miss Wednesday before those teacher days. *Cough Cough*
    Sunshine Rewards

chipndale is offline All this talk makes me want a ginormous glass of bubbly!

Quote Originally Posted by m 'n c View Post
    You could always fly down Tuesday after school and just miss Wednesday before those teacher days. *Cough Cough*
    That sounds like a good idea to me. Our school district doesn't schedule us for any extra days off during the year, except major holidays. The only exception is that we get election day off in November. My kids are always sick on Monday so that we have a 4 day weekend! Last year, I even pulled them out of school an hour early on Friday(that one hour doesn't show up on any reports)
    Go Pens! Sunshine Rewards

If you can, why not take a longer trip to the most magical place on earth? Seriously though, you'll probably want to spend more down time in general - afternoons at the hotel away from the crowds and heat, in a pool or air conditioning. Since you'll want to pass your time a bit more leisurely, you might want a few more days. It just depends a lot on what you'd like to get out of your trip.
    Kayla

Down time is the issue... LOL! Or more the balance between probably needing more down time due to the summer heat and crowds and getting all of our favorite things in... Oh the decisions....

We had to adjust to the same Summer traveling schedule when our children got to the age where traveling during school time was just a hassle. They would have to make up to much work when they got back to school and it was not fun for them having that waiting for them when the returned from vacation. Summer is hot but we find it fun and manageable with pool time, etc as others have mentioned--no complaints. We stay 10 nights every Summer and find that works well. I wouldn't complain if we stayed longer though! Have a great trip whatever you decide!

Quote Originally Posted by poshpartymommy View Post
    Down time is the issue... LOL! Or more the balance between probably needing more down time due to the summer heat and crowds and getting all of our favorite things in... Oh the decisions....
    Haha, you may not want downtime, but it's probably a good idea. Don't underestimate how cranky the heat can make everyone.
    Kayla

Thank you all so much for your input. We have decided to extend our summer 2012 trip to 14 days. We figured that would allow us to pace ourselves and alot for an extra "break day" i.e. our sleep in w/no agenda just an evening ADR. Now, i'm off to price this out...i'm kind of scared as I know there is bound to be a major sticker shock for me as i'm used to the off season w/ either a pin code of some great discount Wish me luck.