Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ummm....Guess what I did yesterday??

Magical JenK is offline I'm weird like that

BAMM!! Right in the eye!!

Default Ummm....Guess what I did yesterday??

I signed up for the 2010 Disney World Half Marathon!! Incase you're all scratching your heads thinking...."Oh, I didn't know Jen was a runner"...rest assured, I'm not. So then WHY would I the neverbeenabletorunwithoutfreakingoutbecauseI'mbrea thingtoohard&actuallysweating girl decide to run a half marathon???

Well, I've been thinking about how I have no motivation whatsoever to work out these days. I've been mad at myself for not working out--that doesn't work. I tell myself if I work out today I'll be happier--that doesn't work. I even thought that I could hook up the laptop & catch up on Lost episodes while I'm on the eliptical--that seemed like a lot of work, the couch is WAY more comfy!

So this week, I was catching up on the various Disney podcasts I subscribe to, and all of them were about the Disney Marathon weekend as it just happened a few weeks ago. I was listening to the different people talk about being there as a runner & as a spectator & that really got me thinking....I loved going to marathons to cheer on a friend of mine, it's motivating, but NEVER did I think I would actually DO one. But....that got me thinking....1) talk about motivation...you need to run 13.1 miles....I'm not totally CRAZY...I KNOW there's no way I could do 26.2 miles!! 2) there are plenty of schedules out there that tell you by this week you need to run xxx miles....well, I LOVE lists & schedules & it would be something I could check off while working off these lbs!! 3) it's almost 1 year away, plenty of time to train, & 4) Ok, this should really be #1 reason, but HELLO?! It's DISNEY WORLD Marathon!! How cool would it be to do something like this at my favorite place?? Running through the parks? That would be magical!

So, on Wednesday night I asked DH if he'd want to & he said no because of his knees. Thursday morning, I listened to another podcast talking about the marathon & I just really thought...wow, maybe I will do this!! So I got to work & emailed my friend who has done marathons & asked her if she thought I could do a marathon even if I've never been a runner. She replied back, "Oh the Disney one? I'll do it with you." Hahahaha! I never even mentioned Disney, but I guess she knows me pretty well!! She said that it's really hard to get into, so when it opens up in the summer we'll want to register right away....

I went to the site & guess what? It's already open....so I registered!!

So guess who's going to Disney in 347 days & running 13.1 miles in 348 days??

Sorry this got so long, but just wanted to share w/my SR friends my crazy & yet my exciting news!! And if you've gotten this far in my novel of a post....HAPPY FRIDAY!!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Member Since 01/01/2007 Addiction makes the reward balance higher! ID#4800

Congratulations - that is soo cool!! What a great motivator! Keep us posted on your progress! I need to find some kind of motivation - but I'm not running in a marathon - half or full!!

Good Luck!
    Karn
    Sunshine Rewards

Member #4187

Wow! That's great Jen!! Wish we could be there in person to cheer you on, but you know we'll be there in spirit!! And you've just inspired me to get off my butt and get on the bike
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Yay Jen! Can you share some of those websites that have how to train for a marathon. I'd love to use some of them to try and start running again.
    Sunshine Rewards

That's awesome Jen!! I would love to do the half marathon at Disney some day! You can do it!!!
    Sunshine Rewards

WOW Jen! That is fantastic. You go girl!
    Faith
    Proud to be SR member #3129

I'm doing a half marathon, too!! Here's the site that I have been using:

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

Good for you......signing up for the marathon is a great motivator.

I have a friend who has run it several times. She started off with the half. Her goal was to finish and she did. She said running through the parks was amazing. The year she did it it was freezing in Orlando. The people from warms states/countries had a very hard time running but the people from cold states/countries did great. They were used to running in cold weather.

She has also done the full marathon and and one year she did the Goofy which is the half and the full combined. She did say never again on doing both.

Good luck and have fun!

I wish you had done it this year while I was there! I would have gone and cheered you on! Good Luck Jen! I think that was a great idea. I know that will be great motivation!
    <Sunshine Rewards

jen

I think that is fantastic. I often think about doing something like this to motiviate me, but alas, it hasn't happened yet....so I will live thru your experience. You go Girl
    Pamela

Sunshine Rewards