Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: picked up a bug somewhere

Angry picked up a bug somewhere

My computer has a bug. I think it may be ZEBO or ZEMO, it has attached itself to files and I cannot get rid of it. I have system suites, but it is doing no good. I downloaded Spybot, but it won't get rid of it. Any suggestions, besides paying my computer guy 75 bucks to come do it for me?? My son downloaded something called blubster and my system just has not been right since. The whole time you are on I am bombarded with popups. I am so frustrated I am ready to just throw it out in the yard and go by me a new one.
    Anybody have any suggestions?? OH Sunshineguy where are you??

TIA,
    Lydia
    LydiaSunshine Rewards

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

Did you try AVG? It is free to download and I found that it finds things that Spybot did not.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
    My computer has a bug. I think it may be ZEBO or ZEMO, it has attached itself to files and I cannot get rid of it. I have system suites, but it is doing no good. I downloaded Spybot, but it won't get rid of it. Any suggestions, besides paying my computer guy 75 bucks to come do it for me?? My son downloaded something called blubster and my system just has not been right since. The whole time you are on I am bombarded with popups. I am so frustrated I am ready to just throw it out in the yard and go by me a new one.

TIA,
    Lydia
    ya, my first suggestion is don't let the kid touch the computer again. Second one, I agree with Janet. Kevin has installed AVG on mine, so it must be good.
    If you think you know all the answers, it just means you haven't been asked all the questions.

I have been having the same thing happen...for about a month now. It is very frustrating. I have ran AVG and it hasn't done anything to help. Sometimes it brings up several pop ups and then goes to some kind of Virus Scan pop up and then shuts all of my internet windows down. Very irritating but I wished I could figure out how to get rid of it.
    Trish-
    Earning my way to Disney!

Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

also run ccleaner and adware. otherwise do you know when your kid downloaded that program? A system restore would be the next step but it might not fix it but would be worth trying.
    Sunshine Rewards

m4travels is offline Deep breaths, everyone. Stay calm. Back away from the computer.

I am so frustrated I am ready to just throw it out in the yard and go by me a new one.
    Anybody have any suggestions??
    TIA,
    Lydia
    Best Buy, order it through the SR link and pick it up in the store!

Hmmmmmm..... probably not the type of suggestion you were looking for, huh?

(always looking for a smile)
    Dude
    Oh, the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

you can try posting in a techie forum with people who destroy cyber bots for hobbies.

Try starting your computer in Safe Mode and then run your virus software while operating in Safe Mode. (You'll have to shut it back down and restart it to get back to the regular mode once your down running everything.)

Mandi is offline The artist formerly known as Mom2micayla

Quote Originally Posted by bluefuzzy View Post
    you can try posting in a techie forum with people who destroy cyber bots for hobbies.
    ITA. I had a bad virus about 2 years ago and no matter how many scans I did with a million different programs, I couldn't get rid of it. I ended up doing a google search for virus tech support (or something like that) and found my way over to tech forum. The guys there were sooo sooo helpful. They identified what the problem was right away and walked me through every single step needed to get rid of it. I'm sorry that I can't recall the name of the forum I used now. But there are loads of them out there with very helpful people. It might be worth a shot.

ETA: I did a search and I believe (though not positive) that this is who I went to... http://www.techsupportforum.com/

TIA,
    Lydia
    I found soming called ZENO. That opens popups automatically. Might be what you have. I suggest you try the AVG anti-spyware or adaware) both are free and should find this thing. Also, check your Add/Remove programs in your control panel and see if there is a simple removal option for ZENO.

installation details:

File name: qwinksap.exe
    MD5Hash: 45181af67cd453ca9cdb7862cfca62ce

Upon executing the application, following files are added in start menu folder

Zeno.lnk Following registries are added:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Enhanced Ads by Zeno HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Zeno Search Assistant HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Run "BrowserUpdateSched"